TENNESSEE VOTER INFORMATION
TENNESSEE VOTER QUALIFICATIONS & ELIGIBILITY:
1. You must be a citizen of the United States, (18) years of age or older on or before the date of the next election.
2. You must be a resident of Tennessee. View Guidelines for Determining Residency.
3. You must not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, your full rights of citizenship must have been restored (or you must have received a pardon). View Restoration of Voting Rights.
4. In order to participate in an election, a qualified voter must be properly registered no later than thirty (30) days before the election. The election commission office will process any by-mail voter registration form that has been postmarked at least thirty (30) days before the election. T.C.A 2-2-109
HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE?
- County Clerk’s Offices
- County Election Commission Office
- Department of Health (WIC program)
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Mental Health
- Department of Safety (motor vehicles division)
- Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- Public Libraries
- Register of Deeds Offices
HOW CAN I CHECK MY VOTER REGISTRATION STATUS?
Please visit the Department of State website to check the status of your Tennessee voter registration and where your voting precinct is.
NEW TENNESSEE VOTER ID LAW:
Registered voters in Tennessee must show government-issued photo identification in order to cast a ballot at the polls. Visit the Tennessee Department of Elections website to learn more about what documents you’ll need to ensure you are able to vote this year. Acceptable forms of ID include:
• Tennessee driver license with a photo (current or expired)
• A driver license issued by another state (current or expired)
• U.S. passport
• Federal employee ID with photo
• State employee ID with photo (including those issued by state universities)
• U.S. military ID
• Gun permit card with a photo
* Student ID cards from state universities are NOT acceptable.
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR A FREE PHOTO ID?
Voters should visit a Tennessee driver services center and request a free photo ID license for the purpose of voting. When applying for a free photo ID license, voters must provide all of the following:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Primary proof of identity
- Secondary proof of identity
- Two proofs of Tennessee residency
- A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security Number has been issued
- Proof of any name changes if different than name on primary ID
Note: Photocopies of any of the above documents are not acceptable.
UPCOMING ELECTION DATES:
- Last Day to register to vote for upcoming elections is October 6, 2014.
- Early voting for State and Federal General Elections begins October 15, 2015 and will continue until October 30, 2014.
- Election Day for State and Federal General Elections is November 4, 2014.
- Click here to learn about Vote by Mail and Absentee voting.